Sunday, June 6, 2010

My Soda Making Adventure!

Facebook Your Notes: "I first heard about making my own soda through a podcast. It's called CRAFT: Craft Podcast the episode is from 4/30/10, if you'd like to check it out. I've also looked it up online.

So I made mine with about a 1/2 to 2/3 cup of frozen apple juice concentrate (I think it was apple, it might be mixed fruit), boiling water, frozen blueberries, and 4 tea bags of BerryBlossom White. I didn't add any additional sugar, just the sugar from the juice.

I let the mixture cool to 110F (per the directions of the yeast I used). Using a cheese cloth I strained it into the 2L bottle using a funnel. I added 3/4t of Dry Active Yeast. This was way too much! I expected the bubble formation to take 24hrs. It only took 4 or 5, I think because of the lack of extra sugar the yeast didn't completly ferment (which for me was good!)!

I tried it, and it's pretty yummy, it's not very sweet (which I like, but it probably should be sweetened a little more). There is a bit a sediment in the bottom, and it does have a bit of a yeasty after taste, but it's not so much to be put off by it.

Next time I want to try it with more fresh fruit and a different yeast. Let me know if you try to make some and how it turns out!"

1 comment:

  1. So I'm pretty much done with this, it seems if you don't drink it right away (after its done) it gets 'skunky'. Perhaps there is a way to skim it, but in general it has an off taste if you don't use it right away. Soda Stream, I NEED YOU!!

    ReplyDelete